Tuesday 24 March 2015

Rock Carvings


Today I have journeyed farther down the Yangtze River and have discovered some more Intel for the Jin Dynasty. I have discovered that they are Buddhists and that they are definitely very committed to their religion. I know this because I saw some stone carvings on a rock wall and I was wondering what it was. I went to ask a local he said that there were over 50,000 sculptures with a 100,000 Chinese characters of inscriptions. Most of them were made in Bei Shan and are still there. They are very precise we handcrafted which makes me wonder if they did the same with their weapons. It is said that soon they are going to make a lot of sculptures here, nearly 10,000, and that would be one of the most impressive carvings. There is one group of sculptures that is 500 meters long and is on an overhang. one of the most sculpted characters is Kwanyin, the goddess of mercy. These Dazu rock carvings were high up on a mountain so I had to climb up the trail to get there, but when I got there, people inviting me to pray with them. They were very nice and kind which might be a weakness, they might be too open to visitors, or too kind to visitors. When I got back down I noticed a shop that opened up that were selling some small little stone carvings I decided to buy one just as a souvenir. After that I had to be on my way again, but there was one other thing that I have to do before I left that looked like a lot of fun, I jumped into the Yangtze River and just started swimming around. I always remember that memory of how kind they were, and how committed  to their religion they were.  

No comments:

Post a Comment